Improving Healthcare in Kansas City
The Medical Directors Council was started more than a decade ago as a way for health plan medical directors to meet and learn from practicing physicians about the local healthcare innovations, new subspecialties, and what practices are doing to ensure the quality standards of care. It provided a neutral interface for medical directors to learn about various care options being provided in the metropolitan area. The Kansas City Medical Society convenes the group and acts as a neutral facilitator of these discussions, with some of the medical directors being members of The Kansas City Medical Society. The Medical Directors Council is reorganizing under the leadership of several medical directors, and expanding its membership to other local physician executives and medical directors of various large health systems.
To foster collaboration among medical directors and physician executives to improve the region’s healthcare.
- Luncheon or late afternoon meetings
- Enhance networking and professional development
- Forum for medical technology updates
- Presentations or roundtable discussions with physicians on quality/cost of care
Major health plan medical directors and chief medical officers.
Major large hospital system medical directors and CMO/VP of Medical Affairs.
- The future of cardiac care in KC, 5 years from now. (June 2010)
- The Spine Care in KC in 5 years. (Sept. 2010)
- Cardiology Project 2.0. (Jan. 2011)
- Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) – look at Blue KC pilot. (April 2011)
- Healthcare workforce issues in KC. (July 2011)
- Advances in Oncology Care in KC. (Nov. 2011)
- Hospitalists: Reducing Avoidable Readmission (Mar. 8, 2012)
- Kansas Healthcare Collaborative (May 10, 2012)
- KanCare and Health Reform in KS (Dec. 13, 2012)
- Community Healthcare Cost Reform (Jan. 30, 2013)
- Roundtable on Palliative Care in KC (Apr. 4, 2013)
- Roundtable on Medicare ACO in KC (Aug. 21, 2013)
- Roundtable on Genomics & Personalized Medicine (Nov. 14, 2013)
- Roundtable on Medicare ACO (May 2014)
- Roundtable on Social Determinants of Health in KC (June 2015)
- Roundtable on Career and Leadership (Aug. 2015)
- Special Session with Dr. Grundy on Value Based Healthcare (Sept. 2015)
Although the medical director members of the Council are affiliated with potentially competing organizations, the Council’s activities facilitated by The Kansas City Medical Society do not include any group decision making on matters that could potentially reduce competition in this region. Instead, the objective is improvement of the region’s healthcare.