On August 4, Missouri voters have the opportunity to pass Amendment 2, which will expand Medicaid coverage per the Affordable Care Act to over 200,000 low-income Missourians. The Kansas City Medical Society and the Kansas City Medical Society Foundation have endorsed Amendment 2.
Now is the time … here’s how you can help:
- Join our Medicaid expansion supporter list. Our list of physicians supporting expansion will be shown on this website and in media advertising prior to the election.
- Spread the word. Help us contact physicians around the area. Email Brandi Fisher, firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved as a Medicaid Expansion Ambassador.
Why We Support Amendment 2:
For our patients:
- Access: Provide access to needed health care for over 200,000 uninsured Missourians.
- Prevention: Enable individuals to address conditions before they become more serious and require more extensive and expensive treatment. Reduce pressure on emergency departments as last resource for treatment.
For our community:
- New funds and jobs: Bring taxpayers’ money back from Washington to invest in local workers and local communities instead of sending it to other states. Medicaid expansion will bring 16,000 new jobs to Missouri and boost the economy by $2.5 billion annually.
- Working families: Prevent workers from missing time off from work by treating conditions sooner.
- Rural health care: Shore up the finances of rural hospitals and prevent further closures–11 Kansas rural hospitals and 10 Missouri rural hospitals have closed since 2010.
Amendment 2 is endorsed by:
Health Forward Foundation
Kansas City Chamber of Commerce
Civic Council of Greater Kansas City
United Way of Greater Kansas City
Missouri Hospital Association
Missouri Chamber of Commerce
Status of Medicaid Expansion by State
(Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation) (click on image to enlarge)
36 states plus the District of Columbia have expanded Medicaid as of January 2, 2020