Health care is changing rapidly. Every day, policy decisions affecting the practice of medicine and the health of our community are being made in legislative bodies and regulatory agencies at the national, state and local levels. Insurance companies exert influence over the practice of medicine. Physicians must make their voices heard, or their futures will be determined by others.
It’s time to renew your KCMS membership. Renew now!
Already a member? Access and update your Member Profile.
Types of Membership
Membership in the Kansas City Medical Society is open to licensed Doctors of Medicine and Doctors of Osteopathy. All members receive our Kansas City Medicine journal along with regular email communications from the Society and invitations to Society events. All memberships are on a calendar year, with payment due by January 1 of the year of membership. Following are the categories of membership:
- Active Member – You hold full voting privileges in KCMS and receive free admission to most KCMS events. You also are eligible to serve on the Board of Directors and on committees. Annual dues are $290 per year.
- Corresponding Member – You are automatically a corresponding member of KCMS if you are on the active medical staff at one of the four area health systems where KCMS has partnership agreements. These are: North Kansas City Hospital/Meritas Health, Saint Luke’s Health System, Truman Medical Center/University Health, and the Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Kansas Health System. You will receive Kansas City Medicine and email communications from KCMS. Corresponding members do not have voting privileges and cannot serve on the Board or committees. However, if you are a health system corresponding member, you can easily upgrade to Active Member for just $149 per year. Corresponding membership also is open to physicians who practice outside of the greater Kansas City area.
- Student Member – Students at any of the three medical schools in the Kansas City area are eligible. Dues are free, however student members may not vote or hold office.
- Resident/Fellow Member – This is open to licensed physicians serving full time in approved internships, residencies or fellowships. Dues are free, however resident/fellow members may not vote but can hold committee and leadership positions designated for residents/fellows.
- Life Member – If you are 60 years or older, you can pay three years’ dues ($870 total) for lifetime privileges of committee service and voting.
- Retired/Inactive – Open to licensed physicians age 60 and older practicing less than 20 hours per week. Dues are free, however you may not vote or hold office.
In addition, we encourage you to join your affiliated state association – the Missouri State Medical Association or the Kansas Medical Society.
A Voice for Medicine
Your membership in the Kansas City Medical Society helps to provide a voice for medicine. We provide a forum through which physicians can advocate for the future of medicine and the health of our patients across Kansas City. As a member of the Kansas City Medical Society, you are joining with other physicians to help shape the medicine of tomorrow. Organized medicine can make a difference. Don’t sit on the sidelines … be involved in the decision-making process.
A current priority for the Medical Society is advocating for Medicaid expansion in Kansas and Missouri, so the most vulnerable in our community can gain access to needed medical care. At the state level, we work in affiliation with our respective state associations, the Missouri State Medical Association and the Kansas Medical Society. Learn more about advocacy.
The Kansas City Medical Society supports physicians and their practices:
- Educational seminars on practice trends and issues and networking events
- Information links through the Society’s Facebook page and Twitter account
- In-depth, informative articles on medical issues through the Society’s journal, Kansas City Medicine. You’ll find information on topics ranging from burnout to the opioid crisis, to diabetes care, and much more.
Invest in your medical staff with a KCMS Hospital Partnership and help shape
the future of medicine and health in our community.
We partner with hospitals and health systems throughout the Kansas City Metro area to provide group memberships to their medical staff. You are automatically a corresponding member of KCMS if you are on the active medical staff of a KCMS hospital partner, and there are no annual dues. Corresponding members receive communication and resources including advocacy, member events and leadership development.
If you have any questions about how your organization can become a Partner, please contact Annette Small, Interim Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or 816-516-7476.