The Medical Society is pleased to announce the recipients of our 2019 KCMS Awards. The honors were presented at the Medical Society Annual Meeting on Thursday, September 26.
Friend of Medicine Award: Patrick B. (Rusty) Ryan, PharmD
Longtime faculty member in the Department of Community and Family Medicine at the University of Missouri-Kansas City and member of the Kansas City Medical Society Retired Physicians Organization.
- Rising Star Award: Carole E. Freiberger-O’Keefe, DO, critical care intensivist at Saint Luke’s Hospital of Kansas City and board member since 2012 of the Kansas City Medical Society.
- Patient and Community Advocate Award: Peter J. Graves, MD, and Leland Graves, III, MD, of the University of Kansas Medical Center, for their donated treatment of a cancer patient through the Kansas City Medical Society’s Wy Jo Care program.
- Innovation Award: Nathan D. Granger, MD, MBA, of Clay-Platte Family Medicine Clinic and founder of the Kansas City Metropolitan Physician Association and the KCMPA-ACO, and board member of Centrus Health of Kansas City.
- Community Service Award: JayDoc Free Clinic, of Kansas City, Kansas, which provides free primary and specialty care to low income, underserved residents of the Kansas City area; the clinic is managed and staffed by medical students.
- Exemplary Leadership Award: James L. Vacek, MD, MS, of the University of Kansas Medical Center, for his leadership in patient care, teaching and research in the field of cardiology in Kansas City.
Congratulations to our 2019 honorees!